A Yogic Journey to the Big Island
Join us for this magical retreat to Kona, the lush and green Western side of the Big Island of Hawaii. On this 6-night retreat, we’ll step out of the chaos of daily life and into a slower, more contemplative space, in which we’ll practice yoga and meditation daily, eat delicious organic meals made from local ingredients, and reflect on ways in which we can live a more expansive and illuminated life. We’ll also have the opportunity to experience a full moon together on the island, and engage in ritual together under its luminescence.
Yoga, Meditation, and Dharma Talks
We’ll practice yoga and meditation daily on a platform overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Yoga will be geared toward all levels; newer practitioners will have the opportunity to learn the basics of yoga, while more advanced practitioners will have the opportunity to take their practices to new depths. Karen’s classes are spacious, rhythmic flows that focus on developing mindfulness, as well as healing the mind and the body. Each class offers an opportunity to move into a space of meditation and inquiry. There will be silent periods observed during the mornings. Dharma (wisdom) talks will be given daily by Karen and Meredith, focusing on the theme of waking up to possibility in our lives.
Meredith will be creating three delicious vegetarian meals each day that feature the freshest local and seasonal produce, including fruits and vegetables grown at Dragonfly Ranch and adjacent properties. We will enjoy recipes inspired by worldwide cuisines, as well as some traditional Hawaiian preparations. Meredith will also offer teachings on mindful eating.
We’ll be staying at Dragonfly Ranch, a unique and beautiful retreat center just miles from the world renown Captain Cook bay. Each colorful, Hawaiian-style room is partially open-air (enclosed by screens), allowing for an immersive experience in nature (you’ll hear the sounds of the forest at night!) while also offering the comforts of luxurious sheets, comfy beds, and private bathrooms. Double, triple, and quad rooms are available at Dragonfly. (If you are only interested in a single room, contact us and we can talk about some possible options.)
Space is limited, so register as soon as possible! Here are the pricing options.
Early bird pricing until March 1:
$1395 per person for quad room; $1495 per person for triple room; $1695 per person for double room
Regular pricing after March 1:
$1695 per person for quad room; $1795 per person for triple room; $1995 per person for double room
A 50% deposit secures your spot! Those desiring the early bird price must pay the FULL AMOUNT by February 15. All others must pay the full amount by April 15. All payments are non-refundable.
Included in the price:
- Two yoga classes per day, including flow, restorative, and yin practice
- Meditation instruction, yoga nidra, and reflective writing exercises
- Accommodations at the retreat center
- Three delicious gourmet vegetarian meals a day
- Group ground transportation to and from the airport
Not included in the price:
- Air travel (though we can help suggest flights – prices start at $450 from California if you book soon!)
- Inexpensive transportation (via Uber) if you wish to visit the nearby gorgeous local beaches during our long afternoon break periods. (This is optional, but we’ll be just a few miles from some of the most beautiful beaches in Hawaii!) You’re also welcome to rent a car, but it’s not necessary.
- Additional optional activities, which may include swimming with dolphins, touring the macadamia farm, and other eco-adventures, depending on the group’s interest
- Massage and spa services at Dragonfly Ranch, as well as gratuities for staff, if you choose to leave them
- Ground transportation to/from airport if you arrive or leave Kona earlier or later than the days and times for which we arrange the transportation.
Queries and Registration
For payment, you may pay with:
1. Check or cash. Simply hand or mail one of us a check, or bring cash to class! Email us if you need a mailing address.
2. Venmo to @pranaful or @Karen-Macklin.
3. Credit Card (please add a 3.5% processing fee). To pay via credit card, email one of us and we’ll take your payment by phone using the Square app.
Karen Macklin (ERYT-500) teaches with an emphasis on balancing energy, healing the body and mind, and deepening awareness and insight. She is trained in Vinyasa, Shadow Yoga, Restorative Yoga, Yin Yoga, and yoga therapeutics, as well as Therevada Buddhist meditation and Nonviolent Communication. In 2014, Karen co-founded the organization Heart and Hand Yoga, which leads international retreats that combine yoga, adventure travel, and service. Karen has written extensively about yoga and dharma, and has contributed to Yoga Journal, Yoga International, FitYoga, and Tricycle magazines. She is currently training to be an Integral Coach through New Ventures West and writes a monthly column for 48 Hills called Examined Life. Learn more about her yoga and writing life at karenmacklin.com.
About Kona and Dragonfly Ranch
Dragonfly Ranch is an award-winning eco-lodge nestled in the hills above the Kona Coast. Nearby coastal areas within a few minutes drive feature both white and black sand beaches and a series of bays that are pristine swimming and snorkeling areas, home to a rich array of aquatic life including dolphins. The South Kona coast is considered one of the areas of the state that best preserves the unique legacy of the Hawaiian lifestyle, and is home to the Pu’uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park, a sacred place of refuge for native Hawaiians.